Inkscape.org
Beginners' Questions Custom Patterns 2024
    cathrynamidei cathrynamidei @cathrynamidei

I am in v1.4 and a mac (M1).ย  I have searched all over for ways to save custom patterns and the latest conversations I have seen are from 2022 or so.

I saw some development conversations about patterns- but that convo was closed - and I don't see any updates after.

Is it still the case that If I want to create a pattern set that:

1. I have to create a document that contains a bunch of tiles that I must then copy to a new file and make a pattern?

2. Do something (IDK) with paint servers?

3. there is no way to make a library or set that shows up in inkscape

is this still as far as the convo/development has gone?

Hoping someone can please point me to the latest convo where I can move ahead with this process.

David248 David248 @David248

To save your custom patterns :

1- Create some objects with the pattern (applied on either fill or stroke) you want to store. Save them in a dedicated svg file (name it, let's say, my_patterns.svg)

2- Open Inkscape preferences (Edit > Preferences, or its icon in toolbar). Browse to System, search for User Paint Servers and click on Open icon. This will open the folder where you'll put a copy ofย  my_patterns.svg or simply move my_patterns.svg there).

3- Restart inkscape : your custom patterns will be avalaible in fill and stroke panel (use the dropdown menu : you'll see an entry named my_patterns, gathering all the patterns saved in my_patterns_svg).