Inkscape.org
Drawing Challenges, Contests, Competitions 🧣 Inkscape Challenge | 1 February 2024 - 31 February 2024
    Lazur Lazur @Lazur

We challenge you to:

Create your FILL PATTERN and use it

Let's see what you come up with!

While we know we are going to get some stunning artwork, we also want to encourage beginners. If you are new to Inkscape, feel free to keep it simple.

Multiple entries are welcome, and please do stick around for the chat!

All abilities are invited to get involved. The complexity of your entry is down to you.

Please post your finished artwork below. 

IMPORTANT: If you would like to know what you could do to improve your artwork, add the phrase to your comment: "Brutal Feedback" --- only for those with nerves of steel! (Please include a brief description of your process, difficulties you have experienced and your desired outcome).

Because of limited resources, moderators may not always be able to give feedback.

Please spread the word!
    #inkscapechallenge

Please see CHALLENGE RULES before submitting your artwork

Instructions/Information

• To submit your artwork, scroll to the bottom of the page and while logged in, click the paperclip (bottom-left) to upload your image, add a description in the text box (optional) and click "Submit Reply".
    • If you'd like to post work-in-progress artwork, create a thread in the "Work in Progress" section of the forum, and post your images there, with the title "[Month] [Year] [Challenge Title] WIP - [your artwork title]" (you are welcome to ask for help there if you get stuck). When finished, post the final graphic to this thread.
    • There are no winners (HOWEVER, YOUR ARTWORK SUBMISSIONS ARE AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED INTO THE INKSCAPE ARTIST OF THE MONTH CONTEST). These challenges are intended to inspire, to encourage you to share your work and to build a supportive community.
    • If you post your artwork here, you agree for us to share your artwork and use your artwork to create a banner (in the event that you win Artist of the Month) - to opt out, add "Please don't share" to your post.
    • Please don't post artwork containing AI generated graphics. as it can be hard to see what you (the artist) has produced using Inkscape.
    • You're encouraged to discuss and offer feedback/constructive criticism to others, but please be respectful.
    • Most importantly, be creative, give your best, and have fun!

We look forward to seeing your entries!

Challenge entries (so far)

01 Inkscape
    Stay Metal / 2024
    Pattern 01
    M Pattern Inkscape
    M Pattern / 2024
    Leave Pattern
    Guitar Pattern Inkscapegimp
    T 22 2
    Pattern
    Inkscape Pattern / 2024
    Pattern
    Marble Pat 1
    T Shirt Fish Patt Iia
    Flowerdone1080
    Pattern Test V08
    Create Seamless Pattern New Show1
    Seamlessly Tiling Shape2
    Triangle
    Flower Pattern
    Pattern Inkscape
    Pattern / 2024
    Pattern Seamless V03
    Pattern Seamless Fish V02
    Smartphone 436214
    Tailors Dummy
    Cliffsetreatpatterns
    Room 4Patterns
    T Escher Llation
    Kaleidoscope 2
    Styloencre Lettré
    Fond Lettres
    Pull
    Fond Tricot 24
    Grass Patern
    Lazur Lazur @Lazur

Stepped in for the opportunity to get things rolling this time.

pacer

The challenge topic is creating 'texture' patterns and using them in your artwork.

Basically, design a seamless pattern (convert to a pattern with Object > Pattern > "Objects to Pattern" ) and use it as a texture for something.

@Andchan @Caradjine @devviktoria @Ianp5a @Inkonic @m1981 @mrks9 @pjschleitwilerfcm @razr @sandpiper @shekspir55 @SpriteAttack

By that description I would also think using filters is a viable option.

Maybe not repeating, but seamless and infinite nonetheless.

@pacer

Chris Hildenbrand Chris Hildenbrand @SpriteAttack
    *🔥

There are a lot of ways to create patterns and an interesting one is tesselation. 

PS.:
    Is there a way to get more space to upload? I am all out...

Create Seamless Pattern New Show1
    Seamlessly Tiling Shape2
    Marcos González Marcos González @mrks9

@SpriteAttack Thanks for the tip, it looks fantastic. When they see your comment, I'm sure they'll give you more space. The same thing happened to me.

While I come up with something, I'm sharing this image from a previous challenge. The guitar decoration is a seamless pattern made in Inkscape. Everything else is also done in Inkscape. I share the pattern in case anyone likes it. Notice that the layers are not ordered, they are a mess 😄

Leave Pattern
    Guitar Pattern Inkscapegimp
    Lazur Lazur @Lazur

@SpriteAttack Space needs admin rights, @doctormo can help you with that.

On the pattern, to make it render "seamless", the gap issue also needs to be adressed. 

Shapes overlapping in a clever (and in outline view mode, unpleasant) way that are effectively hidden, once turned into a pattern fill.

Lazur Lazur @Lazur

@mrks9 Very nice! Glad to see an implementation of the pattern so early. Focusing on a texture one can get carried away and end up with loads of patterns without any specific object in mind. 

Lazur Lazur @Lazur
    🤘*

Let's see what lays in the bottom drawer ready made. Top drawer actually. Metallic challenge from 2 months ago.

Attaching the pattern fill in an svg format used in that hex ring for closer inspection. 

(It wasn't necessary to use pattern fills as per se in that image but had more reasons to do so.

Large resolution version is available here: https://www.deviantart.com/lazururh/art/metal-ring-1007174486)

"Brutal Feedback"

T 22 2
    Pattern
    studioevoque studioevoque @studioevoque
    *🖌

Thanks for organising ! First time submission .. here goes : )

@Lazur Fantastic! 💯

AlexisBRENON AlexisBRENON @AlexisBRENON
    🔥

First time submission too. I love geometric stuffs.

Pattern

To register ideas and sketches 😊

Inkscape Pattern / 2024
    Maren Hachmann Maren Hachmann @Moini

@SpriteAttack I increased your quota.

@AlexisBRENON Excellent! Thanks for sharing 💯

@Moini Thank you!

Inkonic Inkonic @Inkonic
    🔥🔥*

A half drop, seamless pattern to simulate marble. To get the water marbling effect I used two filters (Watercolour & Ink Blot) that I further tuned with the Filter Editor. 100% Inkscape 100% Inkscape 2

Marble Pat 1
    Inkonic Inkonic @Inkonic
    *🐳

Yet another half drop, seamless pattern. For this one, I used four fish (no.1, no.9, no.23 and no.36) from this image:https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Adolphe_Millot_poissons_A.jpg
    I auto-traced these four fish with two different threshold values, then painted each one with different colors and finally I set up the pattern.
    The full pattern

T Shirt Fish Patt Iia

Inkonic Great work! 💯

Gaillycool Gaillycool @Gaillycool
    *🐱

This is my entry for the challenge, it was interesting to try, I am trying to make patterns often and this gave some interesting insights into the process that I needed, so thank you for the nice challenge.

Flowerdone1080
    Inkonic Inkonic @Inkonic
    😀

@mrks9 Thank you, my friend.
    You know, I'd certainly buy that beautiful guitar of yours!😀 -Allthough I can't play any musical instrument...😖

@Inkonic The marble effect rendering is very impressive. It makes some times that I would learn more about such kind of abstract generative/procedural design, but never took time to deep dive in it.

*🔥🔥🖍🔥🔥*

I had some fun with the patterns and pushed Inkscape a bit [with the odd crash or two when moving the offset of the patterns - oddly it would change it in all fills and not just the selected shape]. It was a lot of fun though playing around with my favorite functions [a lot of clip groups - to add extra shading to the textures, tapered and power strokes, altered blend modes, and heaps of blur and opacity adjustments]. 
    Brutal Feedback! 

Pattern Test V08

These are the 9 textures I used - created in a square with the step preferences set to the same size at the square to easily copy and move the elements from one edge to the other to make sure the pattern is seamless. 

It's an old video but the principle is still the same and works well with seamless patterns. By creating a clone and duplicating that clone as a 3x3 grid, you can work on the source and see the result in the clone preview right away:

https://youtu.be/mOflL7B-fOw

@SpriteAttack It's very impressive !! I wonder if you use some dedicated tools (like a graphic tablet), or do you manage to achieve such kind of results only with a mouse and a keyboard ?

@AlexisBRENON I couldn't be bothered to use the graphic tablet or make a sketch first. I just went in and started doing things with the mouse and keyboard. It's a lot of basic shapes [circles, rectangles, and rectangles with rounded corners]. Very few shapes are complex pen/ pencil objects. I rather combine simple shapes with Boolean operations and deform them with the path effects or the node tool. 

Lazur Lazur @Lazur

@SpriteAttack Nice one! Looks like you really went all-in with the different objecs and the amount of detail. A+ for effort, that's for sure!

It's hard to pinpoint what can be improved as a whole.

Also given the fact that the challenge suggested by @pacer is a 2 in 1, a texture and its use too.

Some random observations that come to my mind.

Assuming the context is a paper cutout scenery, clouds hanging from the top is unlikely if it's used for children playing.

Like they cannot be fixed on the ceiling but if they are glued to the wall then there is no room behind the facade for some action to happen.

The thickness of the elements suggest the graphic is mounted on cardboard. 

Which is, rather sturdy and cannot be cut with ease. The rounded corners and small details are calling for a thinner cardstock.

The composition suggests a forced perspective so the elements appear bigger but the sides of the paper parts show we are looking downwards -maybe that can be improved as well. 

There is an obvious scale difference between the soldiers and the fortress. Would consider that fine, if the overall design was closer to its original functionality.

The gate seems to be hung from the top -probably a mixup with a bridge. There is no ditch that'd call for a bridge, nor such a bridge lowered with a circular cut end would work as one.

A gate hinged on the sides may work better. 

Other issue from an architectural point of view. The main purpose of a fortress is protection. There are no large windows on the walls and towers because they are all an opening for enemy fire.

Composition-wise (and probably playability too) the pine trees are not working for me. Even though their fill is the most impressive in the collection.

As a classical rule, the further an object is in the background the lighter it is -as on the ground. Based on that assumption, when looked at a greyscale version of the image -merely the lighness values- it's hard to figure out the relations between the layers there.

Wondering how many objects you used for that front wall. Can count like eight. Were they all grouped and clipped? How do you organise and fine-tune that? Alt+click 7 times to select one of those? Label them individually or use specific named gradients? At that level of complexity I find fine-tuning (unnecessarily) hard.

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@SpriteAttack

You nailed the challenge!

Something I notice about your designs is the tendency to 'draw' in the viewer emotionally. Your artwork is dynamic, lifelike and imaginative.

Another thing I like about this, and your artwork in general, is that you avoid overt repetition. While you do reuse elements for efficiency, you also make enough changes to these objects (in style or position) to make the graphic interesting. For instance: placement of windows, shape of clouds, position of wings, variance of weapons and armor.

Overall, another smashing design!

🖌*

@pacer
    Thanks... and you nailed it. I love to recycle but try and make enough changes to not look boring or repetitive... and yes... It's all about colours, engagement, and fun. Fun for me playing with the design and that feel-good feeling [maybe even a smile] you can evoke in the viewer. 

@Lazur
    Thank you for taking the time for such detailed feedback. First up, I never intended to make it realistic in any way, shape, or form. I understand the need for a moat when there is a drawbridge, for small windows as defense, and the proportion of characters to buildings but it wasn't my aim. I just had fun with the tool and created the parts without a sketch or even an idea of where I was going with it until 1/2 through the design. The goal was a colourful fun illustration in a feel-good fairytale book illustration style. 
    I added the pine trees last as the scene looked too empty without them and the initial idea of a dragon and a princess would have taken way too much time ;) 
    The front walls are just one piece [a clip group with the stone pattern, holding a green gradient and the diagonal 'fold' lines, a cardboard colour copy with an offset, and the black copy with blur or shadows]. I separate my designs into layers based on their layering in the design [bg, trees, castle, roses, birds and stones, and clouds with a separate layer outside the page for the patterns in their editable form with a copy of the pattern on top]. I just name layers but not their content. I turn layers on and off, locking the ones I am not working on, and work inside clip groups, which makes it relatively easy to access the elements I want to alter or add to.  
    It might be fun to redo this scene in a realistic way with realistic patterns, proportions, and a totally different, dark, fantasy vibe. ;) 

@SpriteAttack I love the little details, the birds, the stones, the tree pattern (that one is a genius pattern) and the protruding pieces that escape the image's frame.

What for some reason doesn't look right to me is the top left corner, it feels too dark, the text isn't too readable, and that long cloud looks too ... harsh? to me.

The amount of (whatever-you-call them) seemingly 'random' shadows that go across the walls in various directions and are meant to hide the repetitive nature of the walls seems a little bit too much to me.

Color composition is great, as always. I suppose you have a set of palettes that you decide upon before starting?

@Gaillycool I think this is a new face here in our challenges? Welcome, it's nice that you're joining in! Playing with stars / polygons and the 'rotate copies' path effect can be a lot of fun, right? This is almost a bit like a fractal, flowers inside a flower!

@Moini Thanks for taking the time. Yes... There was the idea to have a red theatre curtain at the top - which would cast shadows and hide some of the elements but it looked overwhelming. I removed it but didn't fix the shadows in the top corners in the rush to finish and post before going out. 🤔 The walls looked rather bland and I tried a 'rushed' folded paper look but forgot the highlight. 🙄 Note to self - don't rush things - tomorrow is another day to add, fix, and polish! 😳
    The colours just happen as I go along. I kept the editable versions of the patterns to be able to quickly make changes but didn't need them. I was just flying blind and it worked [for the most part]. I rarely think about those 'essential' things like sketches, composition, and palettes when I work. I just want to have fun right away and jump in, play around, and create. 

@Moini thank you, it is a lot of fun, I still have a long way to go with Inkscape, but I keep trying...🙂

@SpriteAttack Ah, crushed paper! Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Maybe that's something for Lazur's filter wizardry? (you may still prefer having more control, but I think having one readily available.... mmh. Is there one in the stock filters? If not, maybe there should be one... configurable?.... sorry, going wild with my vision...)

As for the colors: big respect for choosing them 'just like that'! You've been doing this job for a 'couple' years, and it shows.

@Gaillycool Hope you'll join us again next time! There's always a lot to learn, and that's part of what makes it fun! 😺

😀

@Moini I plan on it, I do find it fun🙂

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

Heads up! I have changed the status of some of the attachments (to gallery) so the graphics show at the top of the page.

Pacer
    Challenge Coordinator

Lazur Lazur @Lazur
    Moini

Ah, crushed paper! Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Maybe that's something for Lazur's filter wizardry? (you may still prefer having more control, but I think having one readily available.... mmh. Is there one in the stock filters? If not, maybe there should be one... configurable?.... sorry, going wild with my vision...)

Was tinkering with the idea for years now to produce some form of tutorial on "cracking the code". 

A paper texture is relatively easy to generate and can give a nice addition to the images -except for the creases. 

This year it will be 8 years ago that I made this filter pack -time to revisit it sooner than later:

https://openclipart.org/detail/244328/paper-filter-pack

Tyler Durden Tyler Durden @TylerDurden

Hello pattern people!

This question about converting patterns to fills just popped up in the Beyond Basics forum.  https://inkscape.org/forums/beyond/is-there-a-way-to-expand-a-pattern-fill-ie-convert-it-to-an-object/

(I presume they mean not just converting the pattern to object that exists in the menu, but to also automatically fill with that object as tiles.) Maybe this requires a new extension.

Please take a look, if you have suggestions.

Replied there, @TylerDurden.

hugepigeonjulia hugepigeonjulia @hugepigeonjulia
    🔥

I was working on my latest image last week and had difficulty with the background. That's when I thought about using patterns, and it really helped me out! :)

Triangle
    Flower Pattern

@hugepigeonjulia Is it the only pattern that you used. What about the  white dots over blue background furthest in the back ? I have a hard time doing something similar which doesn't generate a "grid" pattern...

hugepigeonjulia hugepigeonjulia @hugepigeonjulia

@AlexisBRENON, I used 'Polka dots, medium white' pattern on the background as well, but it's Inkscape standard pattern. Also you can see 'Polka dots, large' with blend mode 'Color' on yellow background.

Simple Poster with geometric patterns.

Pattern Inkscape
    Pattern / 2024

I was trying something creative with the patterns [and different styles of patterns] for a tutorial video. I used five patterns - one for the ground, the snowflakes, the horizontally tiling trees, the windows, and the distant mountains.
    Brutal feedback is appreciated [as usual] :)
    [...and I already noticed on try above the white frame ;) ] 

Pattern Seamless V03
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

Please see my latest message in the challenger chat: https://inkscape.org/forums/competitions/challenger-chat-for-off-topic-ramblings-and-chitchat/

@AlexisBRENON @Andchan @Caradjine @devviktoria @Gaillycool @hugepigeonjulia @Ianp5a @Inkonic @Lazur @m1981 @mrks9 @pjschleitwilerfcm @razr @sandpiper @shekspir55 @SpriteAttack @studioevoque

Playing with patterns is just too much fun. This time it's just one pattern with simple lines, a bit of gradient, and transparency. I assigned it to three rectangles with different scaling, orientation, and opacity before adding the details in between and on top of the layers.
    [Brutal feedback is appreciated]

Pattern Seamless Fish V02
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@SpriteAttack

Your (fish) artwork looks very finished. Somewhat glossy and 3D, like a still from an animated movie. The colours work well in combination and the composition feels complete without it feeling busy. Again, the patterns (repeated objects) don't look obvious, which gives it a professional feel.

If I were to pick one thing... it appears that your underwater plants become less opaque the further away they are. Or, they could just be different plants.

But, you know I only said that because you asked for Brutal Feedback. :)

It looks great. Hard to find fault. Thanks for sharing.

Metal Pattern.

01 Inkscape
    Stay Metal / 2024
    Inkonic Inkonic @Inkonic

@AlexisBRENON Hi, Alexis. Here's (attachment) the original "blue print" of the marble pattern. You can easily examine it and take a deeper dive into abstraction 🙂 

Inkonic Inkonic @Inkonic

Smartphone cases with geometrical shapes📐📏
    *The phone shapes (incl. the lenses) are made as usually with inkscape.

Smartphone 436214
    Inkonic Inkonic @Inkonic

A tailors dummy. Once again working with a half drop pattern.
    100% Inkscape Tailor's Pattern

Tailors Dummy

M. I share the pattern I made for this.

Pattern 01
    M Pattern Inkscape
    M Pattern / 2024
    devviktoria devviktoria @devviktoria

Here is my artwork: Monet's The Cliffs at Etretat with patterns. I used two patterns from the existing ones and a bunch of others that I had created.

I also like all the artwork that was created for the challenge so far, all of them are very inspiring :)

Cliffsetreatpatterns
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁
    🔥*

Experimenting... See attached video.

@Pacer Nice, they look like fractals.

Inkonic Inkonic @Inkonic
    🔥🔥🔥🔥

@pacer Very impressive!🤩
    @devviktoria It looks like a fantasy world, pixelized game🙂
    @mrks9 I liked the work and effort you've put in in the "Stay Metal" lettering!
    @SpriteAttack your works are always beautiful!

I designed this simple room in order to demonstrate four geometric patterns: two fabrics and two wallpapers. The wood pattern is Inkscape’s own.
    The 4 Patterns

Room 4Patterns
    Inkonic Inkonic @Inkonic
    🖌

Tessellation can be approached in different ways.
    M.C. Escher, a master of tessellation, used various techniques in his work. Here’s one of the many methods he used.
    T-Escher-llation Process

T Escher Llation
    Lazur Lazur @Lazur
    mrks9

@Pacer Nice, they look like fractals.

Guess it's about the right time introducing filters, now that fractals are mentioned. 

Made this more than seven years ago:

Since then, at least the rendering got better?

Attaching a recent export in 4k as well.

(Edit: the rendering is still buggy on this one.)

Not really a pattern fill but a repeating texture nonetheless.

(https://iterativeideasinventory.blogspot.com/2016/11/turbulence-in-kaleidoscope-1.html)

Kaleidoscope 2
    Lazur Lazur @Lazur
    😇😀😇

Hmm the date in the original post was written from 01 to 31.

Was a bit generous even if we have February 29 this year.

My bad.

@Lazur - all good. I think everyone understood what the end of the month meant in February :) 

@Inkonic - thanks... I try... :)

Caradjine Caradjine @Caradjine

The last day to add my small work. Not really new works, but I improve them.

So there a knitting pattern which I already used for somme drawing for tutorials, and a "knitted" sweater to see how it works. The drawing of the pattern needs to be improved though. And a "free software pattern" with letters that I improved, but it is far from perfect. I play whith the pattern to draw a pen (I have a real one with letters). Well, nothing similar with the wonderful artworks you made.

Styloencre Lettré
    Fond Lettres
    Pull
    Fond Tricot 24
    Andchan Andchan @Andchan

I was walking to work and felt inspired by grass growing on wall cracks and between road tiles...

Grass Patern
Inkscape Inkscape.org Inkscape Forum Drawing Challenges, Contests, Competitions 🧣 Inkscape Challenge | 1 February 2024 - 31 February 2024